History of Beth Israel

 

Pictures of Beth Israel Older Buildings

A Brief History Of Beth Israel

1883—First presence of an Orthodox community in Omaha. Beth Hamedrosh Hagadol (BHH), otherwise known as "The Litvsche Shul", was built.  Other small synagogues were formed over the next few years, including B’nai Israel Adas Russia (better known as "The Kippler Shul"), B’nai Jacob Anshe Sholom ("The Kapulier Shul"), and Beth Hamedrash Adas Yeshurun.Bnai Jacob Anshe Sholom and Beth Hamedrosh Adas Yeshurun merged to form B’nai Jacob Adas Yeshurun, but kept the nickname "The Kapulier Shul".  B’nai Israel and BHH merged to form the Union of Orthodox Congregations of Omaha.

1946—UOC hires architect Clarence Kivett of the firm Kivett and Meyers (Kansas City) to create a design for a new synagogue building. The building was a major advance in architecture; its large sanctuary and social hall spanned about 200 feet without any support columns. Beth Israel Synagogue is the name selected for this new congregation.

1948—Groundbreaking ceremony in September at 1502 North 52nd Street

1950—Cornerstone ceremony in May

1951—Completion of the building and dedication ceremony in September

1961—Construction of School wing

1999—Membership of Beth Israel approved the building of the new synagogue on property owned by the synagogue at 126th and Pacific Streets. With architects RDG Planning and Design, the synagogue works to design a building to meet the needs of the congregation.

2002— Groundbreaking ceremony in October at 12604 Pacific Street

2004—Opening of the new building in February, and formal dedication in October

 

Beth Israel looks toward a future as rich in heritage, community, and dedicated volunteerism as we have enjoyed in the past.

 

 

Mon, June 26 2017 2 Tammuz 5777